Sunday, March 8, 2015

The Place of Prayer

The place of prayer matters. Some places are more conducive to prayer than others. We do right to cultivate respect and appreciation for places of prayer. It is also appropriate to be careful not to allow appreciation for places of prayer to substitute for participation in prayer. Especially as we beautify places of prayer, it is important to beware of the possibility that admiration for the place may mask our native hunger for the practice of prayer. Hours or minutes spent deliberately cultivating attentiveness to God is time well spent.


If you look at the place where I pray (seated atop a wooden block, atop a plastic barrel) you are unlikely to be charmed. But if you look at what I see from where I pray, I'm confident you, too, like me will be enchanted.

The Place of Prayer





Take this cup. (Hot beverage is an essential aid for prayer outdoors in cold weather.)



What I see at prayer: Dawn as the smile of God




No comments: