Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Ignore Prefectionism

When we read or listen to exhortations about perfection, our attention inevitably is drawn to our own imperfections. This is true whether the exhortations are based on passages in Ellen White or citations from Scripture. 

I refuse to read or listen to such exhortations. Instead I pay attention to those things that help me take one step in the right direction.

I pay special attention to evidences of God's generosity, graciousness, and compassion. The more attention I pay to this overflowing goodness, the easier it is for me to be generous and gracious in my attitudes toward others. I fret less about my failures and the failures of others. I am freed to devote my energy to planning another act of holiness. Which I think is the real goal of all that perfectionistic literature, anyway. 

I encourage people to simply ignore preachers who quote passages from the Bible and EGW that promise or require perfection. Instead, let us give our attention to the next step--the single next step--to which God invites us. 

No comments: