Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Moving away from Sin Based Christianity

Note: The focus of this blog has changed. My sermons are now published at Grace and Peace. URL:  http://laughinglegalist.blogspot.com/ .  Or use the Grace and Peace link to the right. The content here will be more philosophical and theological. Sometimes more controversial. When I address spirituality here, I will intentionally focus on the spirituality of men, especially men older than middle age. Read at your own risk.


I preached on John 8 Sabbath. Then yesterday had a rich conversation with a friend who had not been present. He talked about the wonderful release he experienced as he was able to let go of his "sin-based" view of Christianity.

If Christianity is appropriately summarized as:  I am a sinner. Jesus saves me from my sin. Two things are true:

1. Logically, the further I move from my identity as a sinner, the less of a Christian I am.

2. Experientially, the older we get, the more convinced we are that we are not really Christians because we have not yet been saved from our sins. (Unless salvation is purely forgiveness, which means that salvation has no earthly value. It is only of value at the judgment where it will protect us from hell.)

I propose a different summary of Christianity: keeping company with Jesus in "increasing in wisdom and stature and in favor with God and man," "preaching deliverance to the captives and good news to the poor," hearing with him the voice from heaven, "you are my beloved son" and understanding that like him, the world will profit if it "hears" me.

Jesus failed: He failed to win the rich, young ruler. He failed to convert Judas. In Gethsemane he asked to be dismissed from his mission.

These failures did not prevent him from accomplishing his mission.

He chose Peter and company to fill his place on earth and their failures did not cause the failure of their mission. They were good enough. Through them God accomplished what needed to be done.

God chose me and you. Our failures and inadequacies will not block the accomplishment of God's purpose. We are good enough.

I am. You are. We are.

We are doing the work of Jesus. We are the agents of Jesus. We are the body of Jesus. Now. Here.

That's what it means to be a Christian.









































No comments: