Saturday, November 7, 2009

A Community of Hope

When my children were born, I was amazed at their glory. The wonder of their fingers and eyes. I was dazzled by their smiles. I loved their sweet smell. As they became toddlers, I delighted in their confidence in my strength and abilities. Dad could fix anything.

Now, Bonnie instructs me in the fine details of managing our home computer and helps me with some on-line banking tricks. Garrett amazes me with his mechanical abilities and Shelley is ahead of me in math.

I will always be Dad. My children still flatter me by asking my opinion occasionally, but now, as adults, they are fully qualified partners in life.

This transformation of my children from sweet dependents to mature partners is the fulfillment of hope. I remember, even as I oohed and aahed over their infant perfection, already dreaming of what they would become. My delight in their childish glory was heightened by my anticipation of what they would become.

This parental hope is a reflection of God.

The Bible begins with a strong statement of God’s satisfaction with humanity as they came from his hand. At the end of the creation story, God declares, “It is very good.”

This declaration of satisfaction is coupled with an assignment: Be fruitful and multiply. Subdue the earth. Both of these commands are clear mandates for change. However satisfied God was with the earth as he birthed it, he wanted to it change, to grow.

That same hope applies to God’s relationship with everyone of us. God is pleased with you. The mere fact of your existence gives him delight. And God has great hopes for you. He wants you to grow, to increase, to learn, to build, to accomplish.

North Hill is a community of hope. We are pleased you are here. All of you. As you are. And we hope that your participation in our community will encourage you to grow. Our anticipation of growth and change comes to us naturally as participants in the kingdom of God.

In the book of Deuteronomy Moses says to Israel: “Do what is right and good so that it may go well with you . . .” Deut. 6:18

“If you pay attention to these laws and are careful to follow them, then the Lord your God will bless you and increase your numbers. He will bless the fruit of your womb, the crops of your land–your grain, new wine and oil–the calves of your herd, and the lambs of your flock. . . .The Lord will keep you free from every disease.” Deut. 7:12-14

God hoped his people would obey and as a result experience health, prosperity, happiness and longevity. Holiness would produce happiness.

The New Testament is even more dramatic. Jesus–the divine Son of God, the Savior of the World–says to those who become his students, “You will do what I have been doing. In fact, you will do even greater things than I’ve been doing because I am going to my Father.” John14:12. That is bold hope.

Finally, in the book of Revelation, Jesus declares, “To him who overcomes, I will grant to sit with me on my throne, just as I overcame and sat down with my Father on his throne.” Revelation 3:21

That is amazingly bold hope.

When we look at newborns, we imagine them mastering the mysteries of numbers and words and notes and colors, becoming musicians, doctors, artists, mechanics, entrepreneurs, teachers, moms and dads. When God looks at newborns he imagines them sitting on the throne of heaven. That’s bold hope.

Let’s join God in his hope–for ourselves and others.

2 comments: