Friday, March 27, 2009

Gospel of Prosperity

God wants his people to be prosperous. 3 John 2, Deuteronomy (the whole book), Malachi 3:10. But that is only a small part of the "gospel of prosperity." In fact, this truth--which suggests divine approval of natural human acquisitiveness--is easily distorted into a moral defense of amoral and sometimes even immoral economic processes.

Still, the Bible offers many affirmations of wealth. Properly understood, money is a potent spiritual tool. This post explores one way to make the "enjoyment of wealth" a spiritual practice.

One of the first steps in wealth is saving. (Not “one of the first steps toward wealth,” a distinction that should become clear later.)

* * *

This past week I had a wonderful opportunity to practice saving. In the Sunday newspaper there was a coupon for $25.00 off any purchase over $100.00 at Joe’s—a store that specializes in “guy stuff.” I took the coupon with me and began looking for essential purchases that would add up to $100.00 so I could save $25.00.

They have high end running shoes, but my current pair isn’t worn out yet. I saw canopies that might be large enough to cover my wife’s horse trailer. The canopy cost $329.00. That was too much to spend to save $25.00. I checked out an air compressor. With all our vehicles, keeping all the tires at the right pressure is a hassle. After looking at compressors between $150.00 and $300.00, I happened to notice some smaller machines--$55.00, $34.00 and $17.00 respectively—that would inflate tires. I don’t have any tools that require an air compressor so I couldn’t justify the extra money for a three gallon air compressor when all I needed was to inflate tires.

I gave up and left the store disappointed. I failed to save $25.00.

Of course, many readers will wonder why I thought spending $100.00 to use a $25.00 coupon was “saving.” Spending $75.00 for $100.00 worth of merchandise is not saving. It is spending $75.00. Joe’s is a great store to spend in. But the only way to save at Joe’s is to walk out without buying anything.

Duh!

* * *


Saving means choosing not to spend money. It is the first step in experiencing wealth. When we save, we are acting out our belief that we have more money than we need right now. I have enough that I don’t have to spend it all to be satisfied. Having more money than I need is one good definition of being wealthy.

If I save a dollar today, I am wealthy already. If I choose not to buy an air compressor, if I choose to eat a sack lunch instead of heading to the sandwich shop, if I choose not to buy the flat screen, I am experiencing wealth. I am experiencing the reality that I already have enough. I

Because of the ready availability of credit, this experience of wealth is available to almost anyone in United States. Even if I’m deeply in debt, because of easy credit, when I choose not to spend, I am experiencing wealth. When I make the choice not to spend, I am heading toward the prosperity God wants for me.

Wealth is not the accumulation of some specific sum of money. It is enjoying the reality that God has already given me enough. Saving is a powerful way to cultivate a lively awareness of this truth.

Our society is filled with messages that suggest otherwise. Ads are designed to cultivate our sense of neediness. We need a new car, a bigger screen, different clothes, a better vacation, more interesting toys. We need more. The same message is effectively communicated by state lotteries.

I am not persuaded. Most of us don’t need more money. We need more satisfaction with the money that passes through our hands. Saving is one practice that can help us experience satisfaction.

When we understand money as a gift, we are prompted to consider the giver. Like a woman receiving flowers at her desk at work. The first question is who sent them?
When believers ask who gave me this extra dollar, these dollars beyond the minimum required for survival, the answer ultimately is God. Every dollar I add to my savings is evidence of the affection and confidence of God. God trusts me enough to give me more than the bare minimum. What an honor. What a treasure.

That’s part of the gospel of prosperity.

2 comments:

Herb Douglass said...

John: Always a delight to read your verbal peregrinations. So insightful, so crisp, so homerunnish! Herb Douglass

Elaine Nelson said...

The best way to save money is fold and put in wallet.

How are we to get out of the recession? By spending. People have finally begun saving and less spending, to the extent that we are being encouraged to "buy."

As one who has a vivid memory of the Great Depression, we learned life-long lessons that we've never forgotten.