Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Talking to Ourselves

Sermon for March 19, 2011
North Hill Adventist Church.

I talked about what we say to ourselves. A couple of ideas: No whining and no boasting. Both are seriously destructive. Whining reinforces my image of myself as a pick them. Boasting reinforces my image of myself as a self made person.

Reality, of course, is that my greatest triumphs come from a mix of gifts that came to me quite apart from my deserving or earning and my discipline and work habits.

And in my greatest difficulties in most perplexing predicaments there is always still something I can do. Perhaps all I can do is close my eyes and refuse to berate myself. Sometimes all we can do is rest.


One way we can help ourselves to say good things to ourselves is by memorizing good words, especially the words of the Bible.

To hear the sermon, follow the link to the audio file.

Maybe sometime I will get around to posting the manuscript.

No comments: